.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Effortlessly Average

Sort of half-heartedly leading the charge into mediocrity since, oh, let's say around 1987 or so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roaming (additional charges may apply), Argentina

Proof that with internet access and a powerful laxative, even insipid people will blog; the place where your excellence and my mediocrity collide; where my Karma whips ass on your dogma.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Two Words: Bore, Ring

So I was perusing my "blog file" for something to write about this morning. Something that would take my mind off the overwhelming blaaaah I'm feeling this last couple days. Something's just not right. Well, that's not a surprise and I'm sure it has to do with my current set of circumstances, which I won't bore anyone with. I seem to make it worse when I attempt to articulate it anyway. Still, I feel myself regressing a little because I just don't know what to "do" and I've never been one to go through life without a plan. Oh well; it's not your problem. And I don't think you come here to read about mine.


Have you ever had one of those moments when you wish you could just get away? I suppose we all have. And mine's lasted for a few days now. Right this moment I'd love to be hitch-hiking down a long and lonesome road (ten points if you can guess from which song that comes). I'd like to be able to stop and stare at the sunrise over the open desert; to be alone with the ghosts of my past and dreams for the future. My, don't I sound like a bad songwriter. Well, perhaps it's an itch to get back on the road. Speaking of itch, I heard a great name for a punk band today: "Itchy Pickle." Heh. Made me chuckle.

Maybe the doldrums are because my life here in Houston has taken a major turn for the worse this year. Or maybe I'm just craving a clean slate. A nouveau départ, if you will. New town; new job; new chance at extroverted anonymity (where I get to have a lot of friends, but none that knows me very well); new chance to see new places. I've found that I really enjoy being out on the road. Something about it just seems to clear my head and put things into perspective again. I could write more about it, buuuut the sense of blaaah has overtaken me again so I'm not feeling much like sharing. Besides, there's that whole youdon'tcomehereforthat thing.

Anyway, as I scoured my folder of blog ideas, I found something that would allow me to write something that's not only a challenge for me (since I tend toward the verbose), but also allows my ass to be totally lazy. I think you know where I'm going with this, don't you? Yes, it's the ubiquitous meme! That becon of mostly random, often sophomoric information that makes readers the world over stand up and shout "how about a little less laziness and a little more shut the hell up!"

But, as this used to be the land of free speech (quick people, which Amendment is that?), I'm gonna do it anyway. Ok ok, I owe you guys at least something that'll make you come back again. Well, I don't owe you anything, but I want you to come back. So, how about if I drop a real bombshell? Something that's going to be a serious stretch of faith for me to even mention? Something that smacks of the kind of lurid details everyone wants to know about others but doesn't think will ever happen to them? An item from my past that has revealed a great deal about who my friends are and how fucking judgemental people can be; something that, for the only time in my life, had me living "for" others but not giving a shit if I lived otherwise. Something that, today, has me questioning what I "deserve." You wanna know what that is? Then tune in next time.

For today, however, I give you the insipid:

Two words. No explanations.

1. Yourself: Usually funny
2. Your spouse: painfully distant
3. Your hair: short, graying
4. Your mother: California horticulturist
5. Your father: staunchly conservative
6. Your favorite item: my tunes
7. Your dream last night: Disjointed, hazy
8. Your favorite drink: Dr. Pepper
9. Your dream car: Blue GTO
10. The room you are in: Open office
11. Your ex: in Washington
12. Your fear: losing kids
13. What you want to be in 10 years: happily married
14. Who you hung out with last night: my kids
15. What you're not: gay, boring
16. Muffins: fattening goodness
17. One of your wish list items: Eva Mendez
18. Time: passing quickly
19. The last thing you did: Talk smack
20. What you are wearing: office attire
21. Your favorite weather: rain, snow
22. Your favorite book: Don't have one (ok, so that's three words; sue me)
23. The last thing you ate: cold cereal
24. Your life: fractured, hopeful
25. Your mood: melancholy, pensive
26. Your best friend: left me
27. What you're thinking about right now: moving away
28. Your car: boring, reliable
29. What you are doing at the moment: blogging, thinking
30. Your summer: hot, rainy
31. Your relationship status: no comment
32. What is on your TV: son's helicopter
33. What is the weather like: muggy, warm
34. When was the last time you laughed: forever ago
35. Your mood: Kinda blaaah

- The Number of People Stunned by My Mediocrity