.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Effortlessly Average

Sort of half-heartedly leading the charge into mediocrity since, oh, let's say around 1987 or so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Roaming (additional charges may apply), Argentina

Proof that with internet access and a powerful laxative, even insipid people will blog; the place where your excellence and my mediocrity collide; where my Karma whips ass on your dogma.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Since I'm in the Mood to Bitch

... the war in Iraq
... Unrest in the Middle East
... Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan
... Record oil prices, ergo, record gas prices
... Vets experiencing difficulty finding jobs after service
... 32 MILLION Americans without healthcare (and that's not counting the illegals)
... The largest buildup of government intrusion in U.S. history
... Debate over constitutional ban on gay marriage
... The largest budget deficit in the history of humanity

All serious subjects to be sure, and ALL are current events. And, living in the Houston area - which, by the way, is the 4th largest market in the U.S. behind New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago - we have all manner of local news that affects all Houstonians (or is it Houstonites?):

... Rising gang activity in once quiet, gang-banger free neighborhoods
... Slower housing starts
... The rising cost of energy
... The fact that we still house nearly ALL of New Orleans' poor and criminal elements
... Growing dissatisfaction among police with the way the department is being led
... Increased illegal alien activity
... The ever present threat of hurricanes
... Widespread recent flooding due to extreme thunderstorm activity
... Losing our bid to host the Olympic games
... or even the great news that Houston is still exceptionally affordable despite being such a large city and that jobs are a dime a dozen here.

Yet I almost spewed my coffee when I unfolded the front page of the Houston Chronicle's Sunday edition to find this was what the editor considered THE MOST IMPORTANT STORY OF THE WEEK:

"Back to School: A Crash Course on Day 1 Fashion"

All I can say is, What. The. Fuck? Was there a "switch jobs with your 16 year-old daughter" day I missed? Oh. My. GOD I am glad my kids are homeschooled.

- The Number of People Stunned by My Mediocrity